Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Embracing the Diagnosis

Embracing Kit Cat’s diagnosis has just been a recent event.  I guess I have gone through all of the stages of grieving the diagnosis. Sure, I am still going to have my good and bad days about the diagnosis since that is human nature.  But I finally say that autism is just a part of Kit Cat and one of the best parts is when she is “flap happy”.  I love to see her so excited about Minnie Mouse or swimming and she gets all flappy. She is so cute when she is flapping.
I have also stopped wrestling over the whole therapy thing too. I kept hearing about how ABA was the way to go and I just could not wrap my head around it.  I don’t want my daughter’s autism conditioned out of her like Pavlov’s dog.  I feel that ABA is not a good fit for Kit Cat. I know that ABA has done good things for a lot of kids on the spectrum but I am going to go with my gut on this and stick with our play based therapies of Play Project and the PALS program at Kit Cat’s daycare/school.  Those two therapies are helping her connect with us and communicate her wants and needs. 
Finally, by fully accepting her diagnosis and celebrating Kit Cat for who she is, I have finally found some peace with it.  With finding the peace, I can focus on becoming a more effective advocate for our daughter.  By being a better advocate, I can make sure that Cat has all that she needs in order to be the best that she can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment