Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Autism Awareness....Why we still need awareness.


I recently emailed all of my contacts in my email to let them know that Wednesday, April 2, 2014 is World Autism Awareness Day and to please wear blue if they felt like raising awareness for Cat and for all of the kids who have autism.  One "friend" (no longer a friend after this) replied back with the following response " Respectfully, this is not an issue that I am as fervent about as you are. Please don't email me things like this." I replied back "The respectful thing to have done was to simply delete the email. I will not be emailing you back so please do not contact me ever again." Her response back to me was: "Sounds good. I have raised an extremely ADHD child and have been a tiger mother over his special Ed programs. I am a cancer survivor. I have never emailed those in my address book regarding these issues. Your challenges have been well documented on a daily basis on Facebook. I have the right not to have my email be co opted by your personal campaigns. Sorry this upsets you but not everyone is as involved in your life as you are."

This just goes to show you that many people still need to be educated and aware.  She is lucky that her child was never diagnosed with Autism and is able to have a "normal" life and has risen above the challenges they had in school.  I don't need people in my life who are not supportive of Kit Cat and our family.  Through her diagnosis and being open about our struggles, we have found who are true family and friends are.  So please keep spreading awareness as there are many who need to be educated.

On a positive note, Gracie and me appeared on her school's morning video announcements to talk about Autism and to introduce the students to it and to Kit Cat.  Kit Cat will be attending the same school in about a year and a half.  The students are very open to Autism Awareness and are wearing blue tomorrow to show their support.  So thank you St. Patrick of Heatherdowns Catholic School and to everyone who helps to make others aware.

Light It Up Blue tomorrow!





No comments:

Post a Comment